Brighton vs Manchester United LIVE commentary: Seagulls favourites in FA Cup semi-final as Red Devils crash out of Europe
Manchester United take on Brighton in the FA Cup semi-finals this Sunday, just days after being knocked out of the Europa League.
The Red Devils were the masters of their own downfall against Sevilla on Thursday with mistakes being punished by the Spanish side.
After winning the Carabao Cup earlier this year, Erik ten Hag’s side will be eyeing a domestic double, but they will have to bounce back quickly from their European exit.
Meanwhile, Brighton will be looking to capitalise by continuing their superb form this season and book their place in the final.
Robert De Zerbi’s Seagulls have been the stars of the Premier League this campaign and they are now favourites to progress ahead of their trip to Wembley.
Brighton vs Man United: talkSPORT coverage
This FA Cup semi-final will take place on Sunday, April 23.
Kick-off at Wembley is scheduled for 4:30pm.
talkSPORT will have live coverage of the game presented by Adrian Durham.
Commentary will then come from Sam Matterface and former England striker Dean Ashton.
To tune in to talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 through the website, click HERE for the live stream.
You can also listen via the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Brighton vs Man United: Team news
Brighton are expected to be without Tariq Lamptey, Adam Lallana, Jakub Moder and Jeremy Sarmiento this weekend.
Joining them on the sidelines could be Evan Ferguson, Adam Webster and Joel Veltman who were all substituted with injuries during their recent win against Chelsea.
Marcus Rashford returned to action for United against Sevilla in midweek and could be back in the starting line-up for the semi-final.
Luke Shaw and Marcel Sabitzer also played in the Europa League and are likely to join Rashford in the team on Sunday.
However, Lisandro Martinez and Raphael Varane will remain out alongside Alejandro Garnacho and Scott McTominay.
Anthony Martial also picked up a knock last time out and could be a doubt for the clash.
Brighton vs Man United: What has been said?
Speaking after United were knocked out of the Europa League on Thursday, Ten Hag looked ahead to the semi-final.
He said: “Sunday, we can do it.
“We have seen against [Nottingham] Forest and then we were composed. We had the desire and today we didn’t.
“So you can expect from a player, for Manchester United, from a team that they do it consistently. Now it’s too often that we have a really poor performance and it can’t be.”
Brighton vs Man United: Match facts
- Marcus Rashford has scored twice at Wembley for Manchester United, doing so against Tottenham in the 2018-19 Premier League and against Newcastle in this season’s League Cup final. He could become the fourth Man Utd player to score at Wembley in three different competitions, after Mark Hughes (FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield), Wayne Rooney (Champions League, League Cup, Community Shield) and Jesse Lingard (FA Cup, League Cup, Community Shield).
- Kaoru Mitoma has either scored (2) or assisted (2) a goal in all four of his FA Cup games for Brighton. The last player to be involved in a goal in each round of the competition from the third round to the semi-final was Romelu Lukaku in 2017-18.
- 18-year-old Evan Ferguson is Brighton’s top scorer in the FA Cup this season with three goals. The last player to net more in an FA Cup campaign for the Seagulls was Jake Robinson (4 in 2006-07), while the last teenager to score more in a single season was Kelechi Iheanacho in 2015-16 (4).
- Brighton have eliminated just one fellow Premier League side in the FA Cup this season, beating Liverpool 2-1 in the fourth round. In FA Cup history, there have been just four occasions of a team eliminating both Liverpool and Man Utd in a single campaign, with three of these coming within the last 15 years (Wolves 1948-49, Everton 2008-09, Wolves 2018-19, Chelsea 2019-20).
- All four of Manchester United’s FA Cup games this season have been 3-1 wins, with their last 11 goals in the competition all coming in the second half of games. The last team to reach the FA Cup final while scoring at least three goals in every game were Manchester City in 1925-26.
- Brighton have never won a competitive match at Wembley Stadium, drawing one and losing four of their five visits. This run started against Manchester United in the 1983 FA Cup final, drawing 2-2 and then losing 4-0 in a replay.
- Victory for Man Utd will see them equal Arsenal for the reaching the most FA Cup finals (21). The Red Devils have already won the League Cup this season and could reach the final of both major domestic competitions in a campaign for the third time, previously doing so in 1982-83 and 1993-94.
- This will be Manchester United’s 31st appearance in the FA Cup semi-final, more than any other team in the competition’s history. Having won 13 consecutive semi-final ties between 1976 and 2007, the Red Devils have now lost three of their last five at this stage, most recently against Chelsea in 2020.
- Brighton are appearing in their third FA Cup semi-final – they beat Sheffield Wednesday to reach the final in 1983, and lost to eventual winners Manchester City in 2019.
- Brighton have won their last two meetings with Manchester United in all competitions, as many as they had in their previous 17 (D2 L12).
- Manchester United have won all five of their FA Cup ties against Brighton, most recently in the 2017-18 quarter-final.
talkSPORT BET Offer Of The Day
Bet £10 Get £30 In Free Bets – CLAIM HERE
18+ Opt in, bet £10+ at odds 2.00+, in 7 days. No cash out. Get 3x £10 Free Bets on selected events. 7 day bonuses expiry. Card payments only. Click for T&Cs. BeGambleAware.org | Please gamble responsibly
Manchester United consider sending Mason Greenwood out on loan for 2023/24 season
Manchester United are reportedly considering sending Mason Greenwood out on loan next season. The 21-year-old remains suspended by the Red...
Real Madrid Boss Ancelotti Debunks Brazil Rumours
Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has cooled talk about taking the Brazil job. The Italian is the Brazilian Confederation’s priority...
Liverpool release new footage of Anfield expansion as old roofs make way for extra capacity
New footage from Liverpool’s club media has shown the Anfield Road End’s roofs being lifted off in preparation for extra...
Milan Interested In Super Eagles Star
Serie A giants AC Milan have been expressed interest in Super Eagles and Villarreal Samuel Chukwueze and have begun contacts...
How to watch Man City v Inter Milan for FREE in Champions League final
Manchester City are now just one win away from completing the treble and they face Inter Milan in the Champions...
The Lionel Messi effect – Inter Miami ticket prices and social media following skyrocket as football icon confirms move
Inter Miami are already benefiting from Lionel Messi before he’s even kicked a ball for them. The football icon confirmed...
Harvey Barnes next club odds: Aston Villa lead West Ham and Newcastle in race for Leicester winger
Aston Villa are the current favourites to sign Leicester winger Harvey Barnes this summer. The England international is being priced...
The World Of Football Betting: Understanding The Basics Risks
Football betting has emerged as one of the most popular forms of sports gambling worldwide. With its thrilling matches, passionate...
DANNY DYER: I love Jarrod Bowen more than my wife after goal that won West Ham the Conference League
Jarrod Bowen’s heroics for West Ham has had actor and Hammers fan Danny Dyer declare: “I love him more than...
10 Essential Tips For Gaming Success
Whether you’re a casual gamer or an aspiring professional, mastering the art of gaming requires strategy, skill, and dedication. To...