Manchester United’s shock bid for shock bid for Marko Arnautovic has been rejected, according to reports.
Erik ten Hag is still keen to bolster his attacking options before the transfer window closes on September 1.
Speculation still surrounds the future of Cristiano Ronaldo after he told the club he wanted to leave earlier this summer, although it looks increasingly likely he will stay for the final year of his contract.
Edinson Cavani left United on a free transfer, while Anthony Martial missed the opening game of the season through injury, leaving them short up front.
And a surprise report in The Athletic claims the Red Devils submitted a £6.75m [€8m] bid to try and entice Arnautovic back to the Premier League.
However, Sky Sports reports the offer for the 33-year-old was rejected by his club Bologna.
Arnautovic’s brother Danijel, who’s also his agent, revealed that a bid had been made for the player but refused to confirm which club it was.
“It’s true that there’s a bid from a well-known club,” he said. I’m in contact with Bologna to see if that can be realised.”
Arnautovic has played 184 Premier League games across spells at Stoke and West Ham, scoring 43 goals, before leaving the Hammers in July 2019 to join Shanghai Port.
Arnautovic has previously worked with both Ten Hag and his Man United assistant Steve McClaren, when McClaren was the manager and Ten Hag was his assistant at Dutch outfit FC Twente.
Arnautovic coincidentally is managed by former Red Devils interim boss Ralf Rangnick at international level, after he took the Austria job this summer.
The forward is said to be keen on a move to Old Trafford and could force an exit from Bologna.
The news has sparked a negative reaction from supporters with talkSPORT host, and prominent Man United fan as host of The United Stand, Mark Goldbridge weighing-in.
He wrote on Twitter: “Manchester United interested in signing Marko Arnautovic…..Example A that we’re entering Desperation mode. Definitely not part of the plan.”
Offers Of The Weekend
Paddy Power: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
Bet365: Bet £10 Get £50 in Free Bets* – CLAIM HERE
Paddy Power T&Cs: Place a £5 Sportsbook Bet through the talkSPORT EDGE app between the 1st and 31st August. Get a £5 free bet on the next Monday after your qualifying bet. T&C’s apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
Bet365 T&Cs: Open account offer. Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free Bets for new customers at bet365. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply 18+ Begambleaware.org